Tuesday, May 11, 2010






May 11th Tuesday evening

Well it is only 10:00 here and the Sun set. Today was overcast and I felt like I just lived at the same time all day until it finally and rather suddenly became dark. I am still not totally adjusted to the time change. I get really sleepy about 4 or 5 and if I don't take a little nap, by 10:00 I am comatose. 10:00 is 2:00 EST. The good news is that I wake up early and for the last two days have walked to the indoor pool for a wonderful swim by 7:00. This is my new "leaf" on life. The community pool is only three blocks away. The water is just "right". Lovely murals decorate the wall. This community loves art. The Sheldon Museum is witness to that.

Monday evening the museum sponsored A Talk About Art. Jeri, the museum director, invited me to facilitate a dialogue about the works. The show entitled Curious/Vicarious featured works by Andrea Nelson and Amelia Nash. They shared that this body of work had been a life-changing experience for them and they hoped that we, the viewers would be inspired to cultivate the curious in our own lives. Their work created a space in which the seven or so people that came to converse, could stand and realize the awe of personal expression.

If you remember, the first day we were in Haines we helped sort through clothes and books for Hospice. Paul "happened" upon an audio tape by Joseph Campbell, The Way of Art. Synchronistically it provided a basis for my presentation!

Here are some thoughts to ponder. The field of aesthetics is a subset of philosophy. So when we use the word criticism it is not used in the negative sense of the work, pronouncing a judgment of "I like it" or "I don't"...good/bad. Rather it is calling us into an exploration of the deeper meaning of the artwork and into a realization of a "beauty that pleases, not the beauty as perceived by the ego which seeks fulfillment and desire, rather that of a sublime beauty that shatters our ego systems and hold us in a moment of fascination...holds us in a still point of wonder, aware both of the individual and collective unity of life. Some questions to ask:
1. Has your sense of beauty been altered? 2. What do you find fascinating/curious? 3. Does the work inspire you? In what way? 4. Which works did you feel "invited in"? 5. Which works puzzeled you?

We were able to enjoy a range of the archtypical "flavors" (according to Campbell). 1. Terrible, tragic and pathetic 2. Heroic and wonderous.3. Odious and furious 4. Erotic and humorous
5. Peaceful.

I am posting a few pics from the show. Congratulations! Well done Andrea and Amelia.


1 comment:

  1. I am at R@O's - we will call you tomorrow from here at about 8:00 our time (I hope). Love you!

    ReplyDelete