Friday, May 28, 2010






May 19, 2010

Hello to Beaufort Kids! I am so glad you can see my blog. I enjoy writing about my trip to Alaska. I have seen so many new sights and met many interesting people. Today I am at

Mosquito Lake School

This school is such a sweet place. It is a "one room" school house. The grades K-5 are in the same room. There are only 14 students in the whole school! Miss Kathy is the head teacher. She has an assistant. The school is bright and sunny and opens out onto a playground. They have a hugh world map on the wall and I could see how far I had traveled to be in Haines Alaska.

Miss Kathy teachers all the grades. She believes that children should go out and play frequently. Even when it is cold and snowy in the winter everyone goes outside. They use their snow shoes or skies. The school is in a very rural area of Alaska.

I showed the class slides of my turtle journal and told them a story about saving baby turtles from a racoon that wanted to eat the eggs. Everyone went outside for play and fresh air. Then we came back in and created a field journal that they will use to record local plants. Dandelions were blooming everywhere. So we gathered their beautiful leaves and observed them as we made drawings. Eveyone concentrated and did a great job looking closely and observing the shapes of the leaves.

Older students helped younger students. Everyone was very cooperative and we had a good time.

Have a great summer everyone. Ms. Melba



No comments:

Post a Comment